• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • Pursuant to the provisions of the Regulation of the European Union's Council dated December 2004 whose aim was to improve the security of passports and travel documents against falsification and to ensure a reliable link between the document and its genuine owner, the Republic of Poland introduced new passport procedures (Statute about passport documents dated July 13, 2006, published in the Official Journal No. 143, item 1027 dated August 10, 2006).

    By the power of this law, passports that are now issued contain biometric data (features of the face and fingerprints) of the holder that are stored in an electronic format. 

    The passports that have been issued so far retain their validity until their expiry date.  The validity of passports will not be extended, new documents will be issued to replace documents that have expired.

    The Polish passport is a document that authorizes you to pass the border and stay abroad, it confirms the Polish citizenship and the identity of the holder within the scope of the data that this document contains.

    Passports are printed in Poland, regardless of the home residence of the applicant.  A Polish citizen who is applying for a Polish passport abroad should take into account the fact that the process will last longer due to the fact that the document has to be produced in Poland.  It is recommended that an application for a new passport is submitted minimum 1,5 months before the expiry date of the current passport.

    A passport (biometric printed in Poland) is valid for 10 years from the date it is issued.  While waiting for a 10-year passport, you can apply for a temporary passport, issued for a period of maximum 1 year.

    A minor up to 13 years old will obtain a biometric passport that is valid for 5 years.  It is also possible to issue a temporary passport during the waiting period.


    You have to submit an application for the passport and pick it up in person (art. 15 of the Statute about passport documents).  It is not possible to use a third party, travel agencies or to send applications by mail.

    In justified cased, especially when a trip to a consular office is particularly difficult, a Consul may waive the requirement to pick up the passport in person, at the written request of the person who is applying for it.

    Passports are issued based on Polish civil registration documents exclusively.  It means that holders of birth or marriage certificates issued by a foreign registrar's office, for example, a Canadian one, should register this certificate in the Polish registrar's office and obtain a Polish document (an information about registering civil registration documents is available on the website).



    1.  A person applying for a new 10-year passport (or for a 5-year passport for a minor) submits the following documents in the consulate:

    • 1 passport application, signed and filled out legibly (the letters should be printed and Polish characters should be used). You can use an edit-ready pdf version of the application.  NOTE: the application should be filled out before coming to the consulate; tips how to fill out the application form are here.
    • the presently held Polish passport - this document can be returned when you submit your documents in the consulate, it is necessary, however, to present it at the moment you pick up a new passport so that it can be annulled.
    • 1 recent colour photographs measuring 3.5 x 4.5 cm, taken during the previous 6 months, against a plain white background, sharp, clearly featuring the eyes and the face from the front.  A photograph has to show the person without a head covering and without dark glasses, looking ahead with open eyes, with a natural face expression and with a closed mouth. The photograph should be signed on the back with a pencil (legibly: given name, surname and date of birth).

    Format of the photograph: colour photograph - width 35 mm, height 45 mm.  The image on the photo must show the full head and the upper part of the neck, the right and left side of the face must be clearly visible.  The length of the head must occupy 70-80% of the photo, that is 31-36 mm.  When the volume of hair is large, make sure that the head is clearly shown and that the head measurements are not made smaller (part of the hair can be outside the film frame).  The vertical length of the face cannot be smaller than 31 mm.  The eyes should be at the level of 20-30 mm from the lower edge of the photo, in case of children (11 years old and younger), the level can be shifted to 15 mm.  The face must be centered on the vertical axis of the photograph.


    • when an adult applies for a passport for the first time - a proof of Polish citizenship as well as birth certificate and if applicable marriage certificate issued by a Polish registrar's office,
    • in the situation when you submit an application for a new passport due to the fact that you changed your surname, you should enclose a marriage certificate or a decision of the relevant Polish authorities in this matter.
    •  PESEL number

    If a person applying for a passport does not have or does not remember his/her PESEL number, he/she should fill out an application with a request for assigning the PESEL register number and attach a birth certificate to this application, and in case of persons who changed their surname as a result of marriage, a marriage certificate issued by a Polish registrar's office.


    When a person applies for a new passport due to the loss of the old one, it is necessary to submit a statement concerning the circumstances and the date when the passport has been lost (sample) and to document the possession of the Polish citizenship, for example, by showing a valid Polish identity document with a photo, or by submitting the statements of witnesses - the Polish citizens.


    If an application is submitted by a person who reached the age of majority and who has never held a Polish passport in the past (and that person refers to the fact that one or both of her parents are Polish citizens), it is necessary to confirm that he/she is a Polish citizen.


    If the validity of the old passport has expired before 2004, you may be asked to give the proof of your Polish citizenship (e.g. by presenting valid Polish ID card - dowód osobisty, or by handing in the proof of the Polish citizenship issued by the voivod).




    In contrast to earlier rules, it is now not possible to enter the child in the passport of his/her parents.

    Children who are 13 years old or younger are issued biometrical passport valid for 5 years. Children who are 12 years and older are also submitting their fingerprints.

    An application for a passport is submitted jointly by both parents on behalf of their child, unless one of the parents has been deprived, by the decision of a court, of his/her parental authority or this authority has been limited.  In the case there is no consent between the parents or when it is not possible to obtain a consent from one of them, a family court's decision replaces that consent for issuing a passport.  Judgments of foreign courts that settle the above issues can only be considered when they have been recognized by relevant Polish courts.  In the event of the death of one of the parents, it is necessary to provide an original death certificate.  An application submitted by one of the parents together with a written consent of the other parent with his/her signature that have been confirmed by a Notary Public or by a passport organ is considered as if it had been submitted jointly by both parents.  The child's parent who is submitting a passport application should show his/her valid Polish passport.  When parents submit a passport application for their child, the child's presence is required.  Children who have turned 12 pick up their passport in person, in the presence of one of the parents.



    II.  A person who applies additionally for a temporary passport issued while waiting for a passport printed in Poland submits the following:

    • 2 passport applications, signed and legibly filled out,
    • 2 recent photographs (see the description above).

    A temporary passport should be submitted/sent back for annulment when you pick up a 10-year (or 5-year) passport.  In the event of the loss of a temporary passport, it is necessary to submit a statement concerning the circumstances surrounding the loss of the passport and pay a fee.


    III. A person who applies for a temporary passport authorizing the holder to pass the border only once, which is issued for persons returning to the country to replace a lost Polish passport, submits additionally a statement concerning the circumstances of the loss of the passport.  In this statement, you have to include your last address in Poland, the name of the town where the passport was issued and the date of issuance (at least a year).  It is also necessary to confirm the citizenship.

    The waiting period for a passport that is printed in Poland is about 1,5 months, from the moment you submit a complete set of documents.  A consular office cannot guarantee that you will receive it at any specific date.



    A fee is collected for passports issued by a Consul and its amount is specified in the regulations that have been passed based on the Statute dated June 25, 2015 on Consular law (according to the list of current consular fees).  A full fee is collected at the moment you submit your documents.  A consulate accepts the fees in cash, a money order or a certified cheque issued to "Embassy of Poland in Ottawa". Personal cheques and credit cards are not accepted.

    In justified cased, especially when a trip to a consular office is particularly difficult, a Consul may waive the requirement to pick up the passport in person, at the written request of the person who is applying for it.  In this situation the passport is sent to the address indicated by the applicant at the applicant's cost.


    50% discount is granted to:

    • persons who are retired, on disability, handicapped as defined in the provisions of the Statute of 27 August 1997 about a vocational and social rehabilitation and the employment of handicapped persons, and also the spouses of these persons who are exclusively supported by them,
    • persons residing in public nursing homes and institutions or using regular welfare and disability benefits,
    • combatants and other persons that are subject to the provisions of the Statute of 24 January 1991 about combatants and other persons who are victims of the repressions during a war or post-war period.
    • Students (valid student ID is required).

    In case you are eligible to a discount for a passport due to several factors, you receive only one deduction.


    We do not collect a passport fee from:

    • persons who are 70 years old or older on the day they submit a passport application,
    • persons who submitted an application for a replacement of a passport due to its technical defect,
    • soldiers assigned to perform the military service outside the state's borders, with the exception of professional soldiers.

    The fee is reduced if a new passport is issued before the expiry date of the currently held passport due to:

    • a change of surname, given name or other data that are recorded in the passport,
    • a change of physical appearance that makes it difficult to confirm the identity,
    • lack of space in the passport for border crossing visas or seals.

    The fee is calculated by deducting one tenth of the amount for each full year remaining before the currently held passport expires from the fee that is required on the day of filing a passport application - in case of a passport that is valid for 10 years, or one fifth - in case a passport that is valid 5 years.

    A person who lost a passport document, or whose document has been destroyed, has an obligation to notify the passport authorities about this fact without any delay.  The found passport will not be returned to the person to whom it has been issued.  If you find your own passport, which you reported earlier as lost, you have an obligation to return it, regardless of the fact whether you already have a new passport or not.

    The passport document that has been reported as lost, damaged or found loses its validity on the day you report the loss, damage or cancellation.

    Print Print Share: