• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • Legalizing (or authenticating) a document is a process during which the document is endowed with features so it will be recognized as a legal document in other countries. Legalization is performed if an official document drawn up in a given country will be used for legal purposes in the territory of another state.

    In the case of documents intended for circulation in states that are party to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961 Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (Journal of Laws of 2005, no. 112, item 938), legalization shall take place in the designated office of the country from which the document originates, through a stamp, also named apostille.

    Current list of countries party to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 


    Current list of offices authorized to issue apostille



    In the case of countries that are not party to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, legalization takes place at the consular office of the state in whose territory an official document is to be used, and the accreditation takes place on the territory of the country from which the document originates. In Poland, the Legalization Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Al J. Szucha 21, Warsaw) legalizes Polish official documents, for the purpose of their recognition in other countries, and issues apostille.


    Canada is not party to the Hague Convention, therefore, documents drawn up in Canada require legalization before being used in legal transactions in Poland.


    Legalization consists in certification of the authenticity of the signature and the capacity in which a person signing the document or a person requesting the legalization of a document is acting, as well as the authentication of the identity of a seal or a stamp on a document by the consul.


    In order to present a document for legalization at the Consular Unit of the Polish Embassy in Ottawa the document should be certified by a competent authority: 

    • for all provinces: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Authentication and Services of Documents Section (JLAC), Global Affairs Canada, 125 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, ON K1A 0G2, tel. 1-800-267-8376 (then 6 on the menu). Services performed by Authentication and Services of Documents Section are not subject to fees
    • for Ontario: Ontario Official Documents Services, address: 222 Jarvis Street, Main Floor, Toronto ON M7A 0B6, tel. (416) 325-8416

    Print Print Share: