• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland



  • Schengen Area

    Poland is a part of the Schengen Area, a group of 26 European countries that have abolished passport and immigration controls at their common borders. The Schengen Area countries are: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland (not a European Union Member State), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein (not a European Union Member State), Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway (not a European Union Member State), Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland (not a European Union Member State).


    Canadian citizens

    Canadian citizens are allowed to enter and remain in Poland without a visa for up to 90 days within a six months period no matter what the purpose of the visit is (tourism, study, work, business, etc.). A work permit might be required to work legally in Poland even if a visa is not required.

    If you intend to stay in Poland for more than 90 days, you will need a visa or a resident permit.


    Non-Canadian citizens

    If you are not a Canadian citizen, you might need a visa to enter Poland. You can find here the list of states whose citizens are not required to obtain a visa to enter and remain in Poland for up to 90 days. If your country is not mentioned on the list, you need a visa to enter and remain in Poland. If you intend to work in Poland, you need to apply for your visa at the Polish consulate in your country of residence.


    When to apply for a visa at a Polish consulate?

    You can apply for a visa at a Polish consulate only if Poland is the principal destination of your stay or you are going to stay in more Schengen Area states for equal periods of time and your first point of entry is Poland.


    How to apply for a visa?

    Every visa application must be filled and filed through our on-line registration system available at: . Once you have filled your application form, you have to print it, sign it, and deliver it to our consulate. You are allowed to produce your application not sooner than 3 months before your planned entry into the Shengen Area.
    Normally we require that you produce your application form and your documentation personally at the consulate. Applicants are required to appear in person to submit their first Schengen visa application. If you had Schengen visa issed in the past, you can mail your application to our office. Visa applications for minors should be signed and produced by the parents (legal tutors). You may be invited at any time to a interview with the consul.


    Types of visas

    Depending on the length of your stay in Poland or in the Schengen Area, you may apply for:

    • a Schengen visa, if you intend to stay in the Schengen Area for no longer than 90 days within a six month period starting from your first entry into the Schengen Zone or if you need to transit the Schengen Area to reach a third country;
    • a national visa, if you intend to stay in Poland for more than 90 days and less than 1 year starting from your first entry into the Schengen Zone. Holders of a national visa are allowed to travel within the Schengen Area for 90 days within a six month period starting from their departure from the state granting the national visa;
    • an airport transit visa (ATV), if you are a citizen of one of the following states: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Sudan, Sri Lanka.
      Holders of an airport transit visa are not allowed to leave the airport transit area while staying in a Schengen Area state. Holders of a valid resident permit issued by Canada or a Schengen Member State are exempt from ATV obligation even if they are citizens of an above mentioned state.

    Resident permit

    Should your stay last more than 1 year, you will need a resident permit. You can ask for more information and apply for a resident permit at the Voivodship Office (Urząd Wojewódzki) in Poland.


    How long shall I wait for the decision?

    Normally, the decision should be issued within 15 days.


    Entering Poland

    What do I need to have at the border?

    • your valid passport or another travel document recognized by the Polish authorities and a visa (if applicable);
    • proof of sufficient means of subsistence (100 PLN – approximately 35 CAD per day);
    • health insurance certificate covering the entire period of your stay in the Schengen Zone with a minimum value of 30.000 EUR (approximately 40.000 CAD).

    Will I always be allowed into Poland?

    Even if you have obtained a Polish visa or you are a visa exempt citizen, you may be refused admission into Poland by the Polish Border Guard. It can happen for a series of reasons, for example; if your declared purpose of travel is not compliant with the actual one, if your means of subsistence are not sufficient or you have no right to enter the state of your final destination. You may also be refused entrance into the Schengen Zone if you are registered in the Schengen Information System (SIS), you may be considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health, or international relations of any Schengen Member State.


    Declare the money

    If you enter or leave the European Union, you need to report to the customs service amounts equal to or greater than 10.000 EUR or its equivalent  in a foreign currency, shares, state bond, traveller’s cheques, etc. that you are bringing into or taking out of the EU.



    If you want your passport returned by mail, please bring return, self-addressed and prepaid Canada Xpresspost envelope to our office at the time of application (we do not accept Purolator or FedEx envelopes)l.


    Consulate does not take any responsibility for documents lost or misplaced by mailing services.








    Tags: visa

    Print Print Share: